Removal of plaque from tooth surfaces and along the gum line in the period of wearing braces can be difficult. But you should show patience. Keep some practice because then it becomes an easier task. Here are some tips for proper cleaning of teeth and gums in this situation. Follow the recommended steps to clean your denture:
- Place the toothbrush at a 45 ° angle to the gum. When cleaning, make short strokes back and forth and gently push, clean each tooth individually for about 10 seconds;
- Follow the same movement or stroll along all internal and external surfaces of teeth;
- Do not forget to clean the chewing surfaces of teeth, and make sure that the brush reaches to the extreme posterior of the denture;
- Finish your oral care by brushing around braces: first downward and then upward. Brush gently, trying not to break or bend the brackets or wires. The simpler method is: removing the device from the oral cavity and then the teeth can be cleaned with a brush as you normally do.
While following these steps you must also take care of the following things:
- Make sure that you have carefully cleaned the surface of the gums, which is under the apparatus;
- Use a toothbrush and toothpaste to clean the machine, and then rinse thoroughly with water;
- You can also use dental floss in the presence of fixed braces on their teeth;
- Pour the floss around each tooth and gently move the braces up and down on the surface of each tooth, including the area under the gum line. As the transition takes place from one tooth to another the method unwinds a new segment of dental floss.
There are special tools designed to be put to use while brushing with braces on. Your Orthodontist will recommend a combination of oral hygiene products to be used at home to help you achieve maximum results from the daily procedures. Some of them are Orthodontic toothbrushes and Special Dental floss use oral irrigator.