Water penetrates inside your ears while you are taking a shower or when you are swimming in the water. Usually, the ear wax present within the ear prevents the water from entering further inside the middle and inner ear. If the water is in your ears for a long time, it will be infected by causing pain in your ears and sometimes might lead to problem for hearing by damaging the ear drums. Moreover, ears having full of water is quite annoying and uneasy condition. Pain in the ear is also felt due to water in it. So you have to be careful when such a thing happens.
Ear drops are available in the medical stores that are used for the ears, but if the pain does not go then you have to consult a proper doctor for the ears before it gets more complicated and might result in deafness. Even it has been found out that most of the people find removing water from their ear difficult.
They usually wait till water on its own dry up and leave the ear. In this way, they are giving a favorable environment for the variety of microorganisms to grow and infect the ear. But people, there is no need at all to wait for hours or days for the water to leave out of your ear by drying up. There is no requirement to make an emergency visit to your health care provider.
Water can be easily and securely removed from your ears at your home by utilizing simple ways and products. Here are some of them:
- You can use a hair dryer to dry off the water from the ears. You can dry it by using a clean towel while your neck is positioned in a way that it should face the ground. In case you are using dryer, make sure it’s not on a high temperature so adjust the setting of the hair dyer by lowering or changing the setting of the dryer without making the ear burned.
- Try to lay down or sleep on the side of the ear which is affected by water. This way the water is pulled out due to the gravity from the ear within couple of minutes. The water is evaporated from the ears but if there is any wax or cerumen inside then it becomes difficult and thus it will cause pain inside. The canals of the ears are opened if you move the affected ear back and forth and water slides down easily.
- Grab your earlobe tightly, and pull in descending motion. You will definitely feel that the water is coming out of your ear; it will then offer you immediate relief. Also, dry any surplus water present outside of your ear or around its sides with a towel.
- You can further remove water by utilizing rubbing alcohol as it also helps to get rid of the water.
- Another simple way to move the water out is elevate your left foot and jerk it in the air very energetically to the left side many times. This way will help to remove the water from the ears.
- Another method is to remove the water out of your ear after swimming or taking shower, stand up but on one foot only and incline your head to the side of the ear having water so that ear faces the ground. Now jump but on one foot only until the water sweep out.
- You can also drain out the water, tilt your head to the affected ear side while your face is up. Now put 5 to 10 drops of a little water into that affected ear. As soon as the water goes into your ear canal, it will give a feeling that water is moving out of the ear. Now again incline your head to the affected side and it will remove the water immediately.
Natural and Home Remedies To Remove Water As Well As Prevent From Entering The Ear
There are few remedies that can be used or done at home for the ears.
- A mixture of vinegar and alcohol is good enough as alcohol evaporates quickly. Put few drops of the mixture into the affected ear with the help of a dropper and quickly turn on the side of the ear or flipping your head in the ground. After couple of minutes you will see that the mixture is dried up with water. Try the steps for 3-4 times until the water does not come out totally from your ears.
- Olive oil is also found to work better in moving water out of the ear. Pour a little amount of it and wait for 5 minutes. Water will be out within 5 minutes period.
- Anti-septic drops are easily found in the stores and help the water to come out easily. If still there is no result and the pain remains, then please consult your doctor for the treatment.
- While swimming or bathing, use the ear plugs that are properly fitting. It will definitely prevent the water from entering into the ear canal.
- Create a natural vacuum by compressing palm of your hand against the ear and then after sometimes setting it free. You will see that water is drawing out. Incline your head while pressing and releasing ears, water will drain out effortlessly.
- Garlic has been known to possess anti-bacterial properties. So, you can use a few drops of its juice in your ear canal. Not only it prevents infection but also removes water from the ear.
- Hydrogen Peroxide has also found to be helpful. You can use its drops as well to remove the water. It also removes ear debris and the ear wax.
Best and Fast Tips
- Best tip is to be ensured that water in which you are swimming should be hygienic. It is also must that pool is cleaned daily.
- In case you have perforated ear drum, avoid using blow dryer to dry up the water inside the water.
- After bathing or swimming, dry your ears first with a clean towel.
- Avoid using drops in your ear while they are wet.
Problems And Infections That Occur After Water Entering Ear
Our ear consists of ear wax that prevents the infection in case water has entered it. But sometimes, water can easily makes it way via the wax and move to the inner ear. It can then get trapped there and becomes a source of infection. If water remains there, the possible infections it can cause include swimmer’s ear, Otitis Media and Otorrhea may also occur.
In the start of the infection, a person experience watery discharge from the ear along with itching and irritation in the ear. Fungal infections of the ear are also common due to swimming in unhygienic condition.
Treatment For The Infections And Pain
Infection requires particular treatment with the antimicrobial agents. If the cause is bacteria, anti-bacterial are used. Fungal infection requires treatment with anti-fungal medications. Pain can be settled by using over-the-counter pain killers such as aspirin and paracetamol. Moreover, pain-relieving eardrops are also available and you can use them to ease earache. Warm compresses application to the ear may also alleviate pain. Rest is also important. Take enough rest.
by on in Health Tips