- 1 Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count)
- 2 What do you mean by Low Platelet Count?
- 3 Symptoms
- 4 Causes
- 5 Treatment
- 6 Healing Time
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count)
Platelet plays an important role in our body and is a source that contributes to the normal growth of a person. This illness is more common in our elderly. It needs immediate treatment for it can be a sign of a life-threatening problem or a fatal disease if taken for granted.
What do you mean by Low Platelet Count?
Clotting of the cells that leads to the formation of low platelets was said to be a condition often called as Thrombocytopenia, a combination of thrombocyte, which means “platelet,” and “penia”, a word ending that means “deficiency”, a situation in which there is a poor number of flowing platelets that is present in the body a condition in which there is a deficient number of circulating platelets and are usually around 90,000 or less than 50,000 platelets per micro liter of blood or else lower than the normal number of platelets in the blood. Platelets, in general, may take seven (7) up to ten (10) days life in the blood, and then removed from the blood and circulates through the blood vessels and become activated after bleeding or injury happens in the body.
Frequently occurs as a result of a separate disorder, such as leukemia or an immune system malfunction, or as a medication side effect. This condition has two basic foundations: an autoimmune attack against platelets (primary or autoimmune ITP) and a bone marrow disorder (secondary ITP).
An autoimmune attack against platelets (primary or autoimmune ITP)
- In this stage, bone marrow produces platelets and taken out to the body. Mostly occurs in children and young adults and may occur again after another viral infection.
A bone marrow disorder (secondary ITP)
- In this condition, a general malfunction of the bone marrow arises in which both the red and white cells are not sufficient in producing platelets in the body. It also occurs as a result of chemotherapy treatments and other cancer treatments.
In general, the principal purpose of a platelet is to assist in the bleeding disorders experienced by the affected person and to monitor the patients who are being treated for any disease involving bone marrow failure.
Picture : Slide showing Thrombocytopenia or Low Platelet Count
When the body doesn’t have enough platelets which circulates in the blood vessels that may cause delay in the normal process of clotting causing symptoms that may include:
- Bleeding under the skin
- Vomiting blood
- Bloody stool
- Petechiae – a small flat spots seen under the skin
- Ecchymoses – larger than petechiae, a yellow-green bruises that varies in size and shape
- General weakness
Damages or complications that relate to a low platelet can include:
- Typically, bone marrow greatly decreases that leads to stoppage of production of blood cells.
An autoimmune attack against platelets (primary or autoimmune ITP)
- If the platelet count is low, the individuals immune system was also destroy. If it is very severe so as to warrant treatment surgically, splenectomy may be an option.
- Similarly, a thrombocytopenia results from lowering the number of producing platelets in the body. If an individual suspects a hepatitis c, see the physician immediately for they will monitor your platelets carefully.
There are numerous ways that a low platelet can occur, including:
- ITP, or immune thrombocytopenic purpura
- Chronic liver condition
- Treatment for hepatitis C
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Bacteria in the blood
- Family history
- Trapping of platelets in the spleen
- Recent Infections
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome
- Certain medications such as aspirins
- Dengue fever
- Bacterial infection of the blood
In addition, low platelet may be separated into three (3) categories based on the severity of the condition. These sicknesses are especially high-risk for development of infections and normally need urgent treatment.
Deceased Platelet Production
Typically related to a bone marrow problem wherein the production of red and white blood cells is also affected. There is a decreased platelet production when the bone marrow is not developing and functioning naturally.
Increased Platelet Destruction or Consumption
It can be related into immune and non-immune related causes such as using of antibiotics and other medications.
Also referred as capturing of circulating platelets in the spleen and a common condition wherein the number of platelets may wrongly come out low because of the clustering of platelets simultaneously.
There are several treatments available for people with low blood platelets and is largely dependent upon the cause and the severity of the condition. The following are as follows:
- You should consult your doctor about available treatments that may be appropriate for you for this kind of medical situation depending on the underlying symptoms you experienced. Your doctor will observe and monitor your condition.
- Lowering certain medication such as aspirin – It can prevent the risk of blood clotting and helps in the relief and cause more bleeding since it is a blood thinner.
- Platelet Transfusion (not necessary) – It may be recommended if the platelet count is less than 50,000 or lower. May be used to stop episodic abnormal bleeding caused by a low platelet count.
- Taking OTC over –the counter drugs such as Corticosteroids, Lithium carbonate, and etc – It is used to increase platelet production.
- Splenectomy – It reduces the platelet destruction as the primary site of platelet removal and antibody production.
- Avoiding the intake of alcohol
- The usage of intravenous infusion – Is used as an alternative in reducing the platelet destruction. Other therapies are also being developed.
This specific home remedies / treatment are mostly adopted by patients who are suffering from this condition. Here are some tips on how thrombocytopenia can be prevented and treated:
- Kiwi fruit together with sweet lime juice – It helps increase platelet count.
- Chinese Herbs – That will helps in reducing the platelet destruction.
- Taking vitamin E as a supplement – Platelet counts and capillary fragility returned to normal or near normal and helps to increase bleeding tendency by reducing platelet aggregation
Typically, it takes probably within three (3) to four (4) weeks but some types of treatment contains the production of platelets, so the reconstruction process can be much slower depending also on the progress and state of health of the affected person suffering from this condition an on the type of method that was done to correct this certain condition.
Also see – High Platelet Count