Stones of the tonsil can occur from various types and causes. Tonsils are made up of tissue that is present in your body that prevent and fight infections. It comes from different shapes and sizes and each stones need to be treated dependent on those factors.
What is Tonsil Stone?
A tonsil which turns out to be white or yellowish white lumps and has irregular shaped accompanied by foul smelling globs is often referred to as a “tonsilloliths”, an increase of sulfur-producing bacteria and food residues that become lodged in the tonsils and can be seen specifically in the back of the throat and actually they are the natural barrier against bacteria that comes into our mouth. Also known as “Calculus of the Tonsils” which means “Hard Lumps of the Tonsils”, that usually a small cluster of calcareous matter and typically found in the clefts, also known as “Tonsillar Crypts” of the throat and mostly composed of calcium and other minerals such as magnesium as well as ammonia.
Based on some research, tonsil stone is weighing approximately from three hundred (300) mg to forty two (42) g. and an estimated of twelve (12) percent of individuals or 9,500 people (both men and women) are affected by this illness yearly and it is more common in adults and very rare in children.
Factors to get rid of the tonsil stones outside the body. Here are as follows:
- Too much work and cannot keep up with the cleaning
- Too little circulation of the lymph fluid
Symptoms and signs of tonsil that has a stone can appear immediately or can take as much as two (2) to five (5) days to develop. Symptoms and signs can include:
- Observable white spot on tonsils
- Neck pain
- Lack of energy
- Swallowing difficulties
- Tonsil Inflammation
- Sore throat
- Bad taste in back of mouth
- Halitosis (bad breath)
- Pain in the ear
- Excessive coughing
- Bad Breath
- Back ache
- Common cold
- Metallic taste
- Ear ache
- Throat tightening
Tonsil Stones Pictures
Picture 1 : Image of Tonsil stone
Image source : todayifoundout
Picture 2 : Tonsil Stone photo
Image source : zimbio
Picture 3 : Tonsil Stones
Image source : tonsilstonepics
Picture 4 : Image of a Tonsil Stone
There are many different causes of tonsil stones including:
- Sinus infections
- Refined foods
- Autoimmune disorders
- Certain medications such as high blood pressure tablets
- Viral or bacterial infections
Treatment and Removal
Recent studies shown that most people following this treatments / remedies have reported a significant reduction or complete elimination of tonsil stones.
Here are some of the treatments/ remedies available depending on the severity of the disease.
The following are as follows:
- A new oral care system used worldwide to solve and fight against tonsil stones and bad breath.
Void tobacco use
- Helps in removing tonsil stones
- Cryptolysis – A method used in decreasing the affected area. It flattens the edges of the crypts and smoothes the surface of the tonsils.
- Tonsillectomy –If bad breath continues in spite of other measures.
Chewing a Dry Cracker
- Helps in removing the stones as this pushes the muscles at the side of the throat.
This specific home remedies / treatment are mostly adopted by patients who are suffering from this condition. A few of these therapies proven to work are:
- Salt-water Gargle
Place the salt-eater solution to the affected area with the use of a clean toothpick to remove the tonsil stones.
- Cotton Swab
Typically, helps in removing tonsil stones to the affected area.
- Medicine Dropper
Suction from the dropper helps in eliminating stones in the tonsils
- Water Therapy
Helps get rid of those unnecessary stones, and it also helps in avoiding their formation to start with and to keep saliva moving throughout the affected area.
Helps in washing the food and get the bacteria away.
- Proper Oral and dental Hygiene
- Usage of oxygenating toothpaste and mouthwash
It will stop the tonsil stones from ever forming again.
- Seek immediate help of a physician in case the condition is severe for he/ she may prescribe a proper medication in treating this condition.
- Eat well-balanced diet
It helps in removing certain stones in the tonsils.
- Taking vitamin C as a supplement
It helps in assisting the tonsils for its proper functioning.
It also renews both the tonsils and the lymphatic system of the body.
- Use a good mouth spray
This may help in hammering down the tonsil stones along with all the garbage inside the affected area.
- Applying herbs and garlic together
This is also helpful in relieving the pain due to tonsillitis.
- Nasal Irrigation
This is helpful in getting rid of the tonsil stones.
Following are some of the ways for the prevention of tonsil stones:
- Identify the things that are causing your tonsils/immune system to be over active, and remove/correct it.
- Balance the lymphatic system, immune system and tonsils.
- Take care of your sinuses.